9/30/13

Michael Jackson and "Dame" Elizabeth on Life, KFC and Ryan White

"What separates the goat herder from the goats is the ability to lead the goats.  A goat can't tell another goat where to go, but a herder can gently lead them in the direction he wants them to go.

Like a goat herder, your job is to lead the herd.  Be the example in your life to make conscious decisions and stick to them.  You are not of a "herd" mentality if you constantly check in with yourself.

Conviction to do what you feel is the right thing for you and those you love; Faith to know the choices you make are the right ones for you; Love to strengthen the hope that lives in each one of us and a commitment to the self to strive to be the best you can be.  This is not only a recipe for success, but the recipe for a life well lived.  The age old question when we come to the door of death is not how well did I fit in, but how well did I live my life and what did I contribute to life itself."

                                                                                -Michael Jackson 

"How well a life is lived depends on your contribution to society as a whole.  Did you give it your all, make it up along the way or sit on your fanny waiting for something to happen?

Wake up and smell the roses! All of life isn't waiting to happen, it's waiting to be lived."

-"Dame" Elizabeth

Notes on messages:

I didn't know much about Elizabeth Taylor when she lived and have since found both her and Michael to be playful and amazing friends.  Michael has been after me for weeks to get Kentucky Fried Chicken - the three piece meal, "original" recipe (not xtra crispy), with mashed potatoes and corn.  Of course it came with a biscuit.  I don't know the significance of getting KFC, only that Michael was very excited about it.  Maybe he liked KFC, maybe he had a craving, I don't know, but they got a kick out of it when I went through the drive thru just for them.  My original thought was I think I'd like the xtra crispy, but I think he was right, the original recipe was much better :).

Elizabeth and Michael, when they are around, are always very playful.  They constantly kid around and chide each other.  After the messages above Michael chided Elizabeth (he corrects me when I say "Liz") about being "Dame" Elizabeth.  I put "Dame" in quotes because he made a point of it.  Since I have looked up why and when anyone came to call her "Dame" Elizabeth.  I have to say how pleasantly surprised I was to find more information about this great woman that only supports the role she now plays with Michael.  I knew she supported AIDS research, but had no idea how much and for how long she really did speak out and make a difference.  In the year 2000 she received the title "Dame" Elizabeth honoring her efforts.  Elizabeth Taylor may have had some issues with her life, but she definitely did make a difference in the lives of others.

The most fascinating and heartfelt finding was that the foundation she started (The Elizabeth Taylor Aids Foundation) also was in honor of Michael Jackson's dear friend Ryan White.  You can contribute to the organization by visiting the website here:  http://www.elizabethtayloraidsfoundation.org/
  • In South Africa, nearly 1% of the population is infected with HIV.

    Fashion designer Halston dies of AIDS.

    Artist Keith Haring dies of AIDS.
  • Elizabeth Taylor and Jeanne White testify before Congress to urge passage of the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act of 1990.
  • Americans with Disabilities Act is passed, protecting people with disabilities and those with HIV/AIDS, from discrimination.

  • 1990Ryan White dies of AIDS at age 18.

    In the U.S., 100,777 people have died of AIDS.












No comments: