2/26/14

Society, Religion and the Soul

I heard on the news this morning of some kind of law in the state of Arizona, here in the states.  It sounded as if they are trying to pass a law for freedom of religion and one religious group to ban gays.  I wondered how a country that was supposed to be founded on the concepts of freedom and liberty for all, not just the few, could allow such a thing to happen.

When I was a child I was cast as an American Indian in a play.  I wrote about the experience in my book, that once I found out I was very excited.  I loved Indians and was proud.  However, when I realized I was to play a squaw, not a chief, I became very upset.

You might laugh at this experience, and for me I wondered why I would become so upset for playing a squaw at the time.  I was a girl after all, not a boy and Indian chiefs just weren't girls, they were boys.

Later in my life I realized why I had been upset.  I was an Indian in a past life and my father in that lifetime is now one of my spiritual guides.  Not only was I an Indian, but I was an Indian chief. Apparently one that took great pride in the "role" I played.  However, I didn't realize at the time what impact that lifetime would have on me now.  During my Indian lifetime it was customary for the males of the tribe to abuse their wives.  This was the "norm" in the tribe I was in.  Of course because everyone in the tribe did it, it was widely accepted.  Women were somehow beneath the chiefs and elders.

During this lifetime, I have found I have had to make amends for that experience.  My injustice towards women, the abuse I dealt my then wife was turned around on me.  I didn't mention this in the book, almost embarrassed about the situation.  However, when I see this happening all over the world, it's hard not to say something when you know what eventually will happen to everyone.

I married my then Indian wife this time around when roles were reversed.  I was hurt and was abused and knew almost the entire time during that marriage of my past wrongs.  Being an Indian, having what I did then as the norm, did not excuse my behavior towards other beings.  No matter how smart or better we think we are by excluding another group of people or putting them down, eventually, I am convinced the tables will turn.  This experience has led me to believe that there will always be restitution for what we do to other parts of ourselves - other people, other beings and life itself.

Humanity is a unit, and as Jesus said treat others as you would want others to treat you.  I think he may have said this for a reason, not just because it sounded like a nice thing to do.  So if you ever find yourself in a position where someone, or some entity wants to dictate to you how your life should be lived; how you should view and treat other people; perhaps you should think again.  There is no man on earth that can speak for or go against the laws of the universe itself.  In the end remember there is only one truth, one story about who we are.  I don't think any man or religion can make or set any rules to govern that.  Only the ONE can do that and whether we are listening or not, it is being done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you shared your own experience with us, Deborah, without concern on how it would reflect on you, disclosing to the public such personal information.

We must learn from it the fact that "what goes around, comes around." And this principle confirms the justice which eventually all people must face in order to learn from painful lessons, having been given to them as a consequence of past incarnational misdeeds. Not one person will be excempted from that form of justice. If it were not so, then we could not find ourselves on a pathway of personal evolution.

ElevenSeven said...

Well put! My goodness, thank you so much for your comment! I was told long ago it's not about me...so as far as the personal stuff goes; as Shirley McClain stated in her last book, I guess "I'm over that"...hopefully! :)