1/18/12

Healing Ourselves and Healing Our World

Taking action to heal the world doesn't have to be a major undertaking.  One step, one gesture can make a difference in someone's life and change their thoughts about "people" for the rest of it.  How many times have you had one person do something really great for you that you'll always remember or maybe someone who did something really bad to you that you'll always remember?  These are the experiences we take with us into the rest  of our lives.  Sometimes our view of the world is based on these single events.  But knowing this, knowing you can effectively change the course of someones life by a small gesture on your part really gives us power in influencing the world around us.  Smiling at someone, holding a door open, helping an elderly lady reach the soup can on the top shelf; any of these things can make or break the rest of someone's day.

When Michael lived he was very instrumental in the lives of children around the world.  We have been very fortunate in the United States, France, the UK, and other countries.  Most of us have food to eat, and clothing to wear.  Some aren't so lucky.  Now, I know you've heard this before, but as the old saying goes, "what's out of sight is out of mind".  I mean, Michael had a unique perspective you know?  Not many people in this world have an opportunity to travel the world and actually SEE the suffering of our mankind in other countries.  Just because we don't see it, however, doesn't mean it's not there.  How is it that you and I can help?  How can we find the compassion in our hearts to help others?

First we have to find the compassion in ourselves. To forgive ourselves for our wrongs, our failures, our imperfections.  To promise ourselves that we can do better for ourselves and BELIEVE we have the power within us to lift ourselves up no matter what the circumstance is.  Some of the most successful people in this world have overcome the most adversity.  I love to look at those people and know that if they can do it, then so can I.  You have the power within you to heal yourself.  We all do.  It doesn't matter if I only have a dollar in my pocket or I'm very, very rich.  Depending on how I view myself and my world is what will either make or break my life.

I'd like you to find that compassion for yourself.  I'd like you to view your world with kindness.  Maybe the best way to do that is by showing kindness first ourselves.  White, black, yellow or green we are all the same inside.  May this day be the day YOU decide to accept who you are and know that you are a divine being, made of love, and when you look at the world, may you know that one day you will also return to love.

No comments: