5/29/14

In Dedication, by Request - Maya Angelou

We're back! And, although I said I wouldn't post until June, I've been requested to write.  Maya Angelou has passed on and Michael would like to pay tribute to her.  I never watched the memorial they had for Michael, but apparently she wrote something specifically for him.  Yesterday he said he had met her.  Today he stands by with her and at that I'll let him take the keys:

"Maya Angelou was one of the greatest poets of all time.  But more than that she was a friend, a confidant and a true inspiration for the people.  Her talent rose her above the crowds in staggering numbers.  Her life was an instrument in which God can measure the good deeds of people like her. She gave from her heart, sung from her soul, and expressed wisdom beyond her wildest dreams in her writings, her poems and in her voice.

I wish you could know the lady that stands with me now.  Her voice, her measure, all beat like the beating of a drum.  It's steady, it's knowing, it's wise and in comparison to her life, it is bright as all "get out", as she would say.  I enjoy her company, am fond of her life and am staggered by her passing.  There are few left to voice the concerns and passion for the voiceless.  It must be us to stand in her place, for her, while she stands with me.

We had her for a time and now as she stands with me, you have her no more.  By my side and in dedication to the work our father has placed before us, she will like many others assist in ways beyond measure and in ways no one will ever see.  Her inspiration, her legacy will live on, but her soul is immortal and the song she carries in her heart remains.

In loving dedication with my dear friend Madiba, Elizabeth, and Shirley Temple Black, Princess Diana and many others we salute you, your courage, your bravery and your unending kindness.  We love you, Michael Jackson et al."

I'm going to post the poem recited by Queen Latifa at the memorial for Michael below, but would like to add a few personal comments as well.  Although Maya is here with Michael I have not had ample conversation with her as I have with others.  She strikes me as reserved, a bit quiet.  She is observing more than the others I have met.  Pensive in some ways, yet friendly and I honestly am not sure what to ask her.  When I ask what her greatest accomplishment was she says, a book of poems.  When I look I see she has many.  I find it interesting that these people all seem to hang out together.  They all seem to carry a common thread and wish for a betterment of humanity.  I am honored to be their vessel in service.

As for Ms Angelou personally, I loved her "Hater" poem and many others.  She has made a difference in my life even though I did not follow her avidly.  Her conviction, her willingness to stand up and fight for what's right, and her simple just being there is inspiration enough to give others strength to do the same.  I am so very grateful, thankful, for her light in this world.  I can't imagine a world without her.  Still amazed by the lines that cross over our lives, her story comes to mind:  It's not in the knowing what to do that the caged bird sings, it's the knowing that he carries within him a song.  This is in essence the purpose for Man in the Mirror Project.  That every one of us carries within us a song; a purpose for our lives; that we are divine beings and more than we could ever imagine. Our self imposed cages can and will be released.

Mr Mandela stands shining here beside me.  It is in his message, in her message, and in the message of Michael Jackson himself that we need to become more than what we are today and take a stand for the rights of all people in all places and not just a select few.  As these forces of love join hands on the other side, may we also here do the same.  Our dreams, our hearts and our minds can and will be the instruments used to make powerful changes here on the planet.  May we, like Maya, take the initiative to stand in our truth and beacon home the sun that so rightfully shines upon us.  Blessings . . in all ways, always and always to Maya Angelou...