8/31/15

Remembering Wayne Dyer

"The laws of the material world do not apply to those who are God realized."

- Wayne Dyer

Whenever a great teacher passes I am stunned.  I wonder if they will continue to teach and guide us from the other side. My heart aches at the thought of them not being in the world with us any longer.

One such teacher has passed on over the weekend.  Dr. Wayne Dyer, an inspirational speaker, teacher and author passed on during his sleep over the weekend.  I will miss his teachings greatly.

I was fortunate enough to attend several of Wayne's seminars and speaking events.  One event I attended with my son.  We both liked the way Wayne did not preach at you, he merely spoke with you.  He often revealed stories about his life during his speaking events.  Both the funny ones and the mystical ones. 

Some teachers are put on pedastools.  We like to think a spiritual teacher is holy and does no wrong, but Wayne always had a wonderful way of humanizing himself.

He'd often remove his shoes.  Walking on stage barefoot.  He'd tell the audience how his family life was.  He wasn't perfect.  Not a perfect dad, a perfect husband or a perfect speaker.  He was human. 

Revealing all of that not so nice stuff, allowed his audience to connect with him.  We too were human.  With lives that we struggled with.  Moments when we don't feel so perfect and then moments when mystical experiences lead us to question our purpose and our direction in life.

I'd like to share some of Wayne's story with you.  He was born in my hometown, here in Detroit. Wayne was an orphan and quite poor like many of the people living in the city today.  Sometimes we get so trapped in our minds by that identity, we forget that we are spiritual beings and can rise above any situation thrown at us.

Here is some of Wayne's story:

"Born in Detroit in 1940, Dyer grew up an orphan, an experience that molded a self-reliance as well as an aversion to self-pity.

"I grew up in the east side of Detroit in an area where there was very little, except for a lot of scarcity, poverty and hunger," he said in a 2009 interview with Success magazine. "But I never woke up saying, 'I'm an orphan again today, isn't this terrible? Poor me,' (...) there were a couple of very affluent neighborhoods nearby, but I never thought for one second that those people had more than I had. It just seemed that they got what they were entitled to, and if I really wanted those things, then I would have them, too."


I wanted to share that with you because I believe it is Wayne's life that can be reflected upon to help us all with some of the struggles we encounter ourselves.  Not only was Wayne an orphan, but he carried thoughts of self pity and anger towards not only his situation, but his father.  

Many of us struggle with our "situation".  It may be the life we were born into.  The place we grew up or the parents we never had.  

In the video below Wayne talks about some of that struggle.  He reveals the point in his life when everything changed.  The time he went to his fathers grave full of anger and the time he began to listen to the guiding light within him.  You'll see how these two things set Wayne free from his past and allowed him to step onto the path his was meant to embark on.

Your purpose comes from within.  Not from the people or situations around you.


Wayne's online course entitled "I AM Light" is still available through Hayhouse:  http://www.drwaynedyer.com/events/i-am-light-online-course/

No comments: