5/27/12

Freedom

Monday in the United States marks a day we call Memorial Day.  It is a day that honors the memory of those who fought for our freedom in war.  Freedom, however, is not just for those in the States, or those in any specific country, freedom is one of our birth rites.

Recognizing this day is very important for me personally.  After all Michael Jackson loved freedom as did our twin flame sponsor, St Germain and myself. True freedom comes at many levels.  It can mean a free country, world or even individual freedoms.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to meet and speak with more people from around the world.  I say rare, because here in the US many of us are confined to our lovely homes with our lovely thoughts about who we are going to text or phone in the next five minutes.  It is with rare occasion for us to look outside of ourselves to realize the true loss of freedoms in other parts of the world.  Perhaps this is why Michael Jackson felt so passionate about helping those less fortunate.  He realized the plight of not just a country, but of the human race because he was given the rare opportunity to travel the world.

All countries have at one time or another been at war.  We honor the memory of those fallen, or those who have fought, but what have they fought for?  Freedom, control, money, power?  Who really knows the true reasons war is fought when it is in the hands of a select few.

During a layover at the airport this weekend, there was a traveling exhibit of all of the fallen soldiers from a specific state.  I noticed some personal notes written on some of the pictures, some other military personnel walking through the airport, and reveled at the average age of the victims; which was 20 years of age.

I had just taken my son to another state to start work.  He's 20 now, and as I glanced at the pictures of the faces of those young people who have lost their lives, I couldn't help but think of him and how it might be for someone that age to have to engage in the terrors of war.

I say terrors like I know about war, but the truth is I have only heard stories.  I was involved with a project that recorded stories for those who were veterans of WWII and it was during that project that I was given a glimpse of the reality of what war can do.

I went to several assisted living facilities to capture stories.  A local television station interviewed me and a few of the residents for a special they were doing.  On one particular day we had about three veterans lined up to film their story.  I was touched that some of the families showed up to witness the event, as these 80 some year old people engaged in telling us about how they felt the day WWII ended.  Some opened up about some things that happened to them and I cried when I witnessed them reliving the pain of the memories from so many years ago well up within them once again.

It was the very first time some of these people had ever even whispered a word about what they had encountered.  Matter of fact, all three survivors were living in the same assisted living community never knowing they were all in the exact same location the day the war ended.  My ears were listening to stories of first hand witnesses who were there when the peace treaty was signed with Japan and ships that were lined up in the ocean to mark the event.  Some of these stories their families had never heard before and as these WWII veterans let a few silent tears fall as they recalled their memories it dawned on me that they too were only 20 some years old when they went to fight for our freedoms.  That over 60 some years later they were still living with the painful memories of witnessing their best friends heads being cut off, or being blown to bits right in front of them.

I honor all of those who would put their selves in harms way to protect our freedom and on this day I personally pray for the healing of both those that have fallen and those who have served, that their emotional and mental energies that have been so traumatized by war be healed and made whole once again.  On this Memorial Day, whether you are in the US or abroad, I ask that you join me in just a small prayer, asking for this same healing and a special healing for our world so that no one's son or daughter, nor any one of us should ever have to endure the pains of war again.

God Bless all peoples under all nations and may we remember our pains and struggles so we may all go forward  in search of only peace.

Happy Memorial Day.


No comments: